Sunday, August 1, 2010

Do you make your own Bread?


Do you make your own bread? Well, if you don't it's time to start. Now, I am super lazy when it comes to cooking, and the thought of mixing, kneading, waiting, kneading, raising, etc. etc. etc. !! Makes me totally unmotivated! BUT I have an old dinosaur breadmaker that belonged to my grandmother who never used it because she had no use for a breadmaker...she was the breadmaker! Anyway, it's so old that I couldn't even find a users manual online. But I decided to wing it, now usually when I wing it in the kitchen it turns into a disaster, but I figured I'd just follow a bread recipe, throw everything in that baby and see what happened. The good news is that it was a great success! YAY success in the kitchen with almost no work!! So, if you're kitchen lazy like me but want homemade bread either go searching through your grandmothers pantry for a breadmaker she doesn't use OR go the the DI and see what you can dig up. Oh sure I'd love to have the fancy model with the pizza dough setting and a paddle that could whip up a BIG loaf of bread but for Free, my little dinosaur is doing a fabulous job, and I haven't bought bread for about 1 year. AND we're eating yummy whole wheat bread--remember fresh ground wheat flour is about 1000 times better than store bought wheat flour. See my post here about the best thing I ever bought----my wheat grinder--L-O-V-E it!!

Here's my favorite recipe:
I got the original recipe from here (everydayfoodstorage.com), but I have modified it a bit:


1 1/4 C Warm Water
1 T butter
1/4 C brown sugar or honey
1t salt
2 3/4 C whole wheat flour
1/4 C Wheat Gluten (or you can use 1/2 wheat 1/2 white flour omit the gluten and increase flour to 3 cups)
2T Powdered Milk
1/4 C potato flakes
3/4 T yeast (original recipe called for 1T but it was too much and the bread tasted like yeast)

Just throw everything in the breadmaker in the order listed, set you breadmaker on the dough setting. When it beeps (don't forget that you have it in the machine--yes I have done this) take it out and shape it to fit in your bread pan, let it rise for 30 min. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. My oven cooks hot so I only bake mine for 25 minutes.

If you go to the Everyday Food Storage site, she's got tons of great recipes, videos, and food storage tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment