Saturday, January 9, 2010

2010 Week 1 Budget Review

Well, my first week keeping track of my spending and trying to stay within my $40-$50 weekly budget....I totally blew it! BUT I've thought about a couple of things, 1st I think it's more logical for me to work in terms of a monthly food budget. I like having a weekly goal, but the truth is that some weeks the stores have great stock up sales that will help my food woefully inadequate food storage and other weeks I really don't buy anything except milk and produce. 2nd I am working on my food storage, I just got a freezer and at the moment we can afford to spend a little extra cash building up our food storage. This week I bought lots of chicken and beef that was super cheap. I couldn't do that before I got a freezer so now I'm in okay shape with that. I also bought another bucket of oats at Costco because I don't know if they will restock and the price is great. I spend less than $15 at Walgreens this week and got 8 cases of water and tons of other stuff. It was a good week at Walgreens. Which is hit or miss. I also have $30 in RR to spend over the next 2 weeks!
So, overall it was a good week. I like being able to see exactly where my money went--I certainly feel more accountable when I'm shopping and it really helps to shop with cash!



So in my quest to save money, I found this really great tip from Moneywise Moms that I am super excited about trying. For $5 I bought 8 white wash clothes (they call them "barmops"). I'm going to use them to clean up kitchen spills (which are hourly occurences) and dirty faces (not with the same cloth!). And then you just throw them in the washer with some bleach and you're back in business! This should cut down on the very expensive paper towels that we go through by the caseload. I'll let you know how it goes.

Good Luck on your 2010 budget! Be sure to share you tips with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment