Thursday, December 16, 2010

Why you need to buy a FoodSaver!

Here's why I want you to grab that FoodSaver for $24.99 from my last post.

See this little beauty?

It's one of my all time favorite kitchen gadgets because it means that I can have chocolate in my food storage--yay!
But here's the problem, Foodsaver no longer manufactures the hand held vacuum sealer. So, the next option, which is a perfectly good option is the actual Big Foodsaver which comes with a little hose and does the exact same thing that my little vacuum sealer does. The problem is the high price (unless you can find one on e-bay or at the DI.)

You will need to purchase this little attachment
which runs about $6 and it comes in small mouth or wide mouth jar sizes.

This allows you to store (in mason jars) all kinds of great things that would normally go bad very quickly. Chocolate for example will last for years when vaccuum sealed. I've stored raisins and crackers and nuts. After you opon the jar, you can just reseal it with the same lid. You can also use it for refrigerated or frozen foods, but make sure you store those items in the refrigerator or freezer and NOT on your shelf and you will extend their life by at least double. This is not canning or pressure canning! You also, have to be super careful with any powdered items because they can really mess up your system, but if you want to vacuum seal sugar or cake mix, just be sure to put it in a plastic bag first and then vacuum seal it in the jar some people even put a coffee filter on top to be safe. I use mine for storing cheese, like parmesan which is soooo expensive but I can't use the big block fast enough. The possibilities are endless, but I LOVE mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment