Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Yummy, Easy Salsa

I know it's been hit or miss with my posts, but I really want to get serious about being more consistent with posts, so slowly but surely I'm getting back into the groove and hopefully by the time school starts I'll be back in the swing of blogging.

It's long past time for one of my favorite recipe finds! Scott and I LOVE chips and Salsa however, Scott only likes 1 or 2 brands because he has a thing about raw tomatoes (weird because he loves salsa???) and I have a thing about mushy cooked tomatoes. It's definitely a tomato thing with both of us. Now of course nothing compares to salsa made with fresh tomatoes, but really I've been trying to grow tomatoes for the last 3 years with a yield of 2 measly tomatoes. I've read every book in our library even those by locals about how to grow great tomatoes in the desert and followed their advice to the T and still a big fat F for me. I've given up momentarily but not for good. ANYWAY, I found this recipe that uses canned tomatoes, fresh ingredients and most importantly a blender, and I'm telling you WE LOVE this salsa. It's the next best thing 2 fresh and WAY better than store bought. give it a try it's a cinch and even if you don't like spicy be sure to add the jalapeno just take out the ribs and seeds. I left it out once and it was blah! I put it in wide mouth pint jars (easy for dipping chips) and the recipe makes 2 pints. It will last about a week in the fridge however ours has never been in the fridge that long except when we were on vacation!

Easy Blender Salsa

Ingredients:

  • 1- 14 oz can diced tomatoes(I use fire roasted tomatoes)
  • 1- 10 oz can orginal Rotel
  • 1/2 small onion, roughly chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
  • 1/2-1 jalapeno, seeded or not (depends on how spicy you like it)
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • small to medium size handful of cilantro, washed
  • juice of 1 lime

Directions:

Put all the ingredients in the base of a food processor or good blender and pulse to combine for 30 seconds or so until all the ingredients are finely chopped and salsa is desired consistency. Taste for seasoning and adjust to taste. Serve with chips or over tacos.

The Original Recipe is from Mountain Mama Cooks


No comments:

Post a Comment