Sunday, August 7, 2011

Fettucine


This is one of my favorite recipes. It's a lighter version of Fettucine Alfredo. I have to say that it hasn't turned out perfectly every time which makes me a little crazy since it's such a simple recipe, but I'll tell you the little tweaks I've made. I got this from the Martha Stewart Website ages ago:

Fettucine with Mint, Peas, Ham, and Cream
2 leeks, white parts only, very thinly sliced (long ways)
2 T Olive Oil
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 C Chicken stock or broth
1 C heavy cream
3 oz. cooked Parma ham, cut into matchsticks
1 C frozen peas
Salt and Pepper
1 lb Fetuucine
1 C small mint leaves

Place sliced leeks in small bowl of cold water, Let stand 5 minutes to rid them of dirt and sand. Lift sliced leeks out of water and drain. Bring large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according the package instructions. Heat Olive oil in lg skillet over medium-low heat. Add leaks and garlic, and cook until softened 2 to 3 minutes. Raise the heat to medium-high. Add chicken stock, cream, ham, and peas; season with salt and pepper. Let the sauce cook until it has thickened, about 6 minutes. Drain pasta, add sauce, sprinkle with mint and serve.

Okay so here are my tweaks. I have never added the mint, I don't know why, but I bet it's awesome, I'm going to add it next time!! I add a little butter to the olive oil and a little extra cream (about 1/2 cup). I also salt and pepper the leeks and then pepper again after adding the other ingredients. I use just regular deli ham, I have never been able to find parma ham, but I imagine it gives the pasta a great flavor. Don't leave the ham out our your sauce will be BLAND! Yes, I've done that. After I combine everything I also stir in about 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese. Now, this part is really important, after you combine everything stir the pasta and then let it stand for a few minutes and then stir again every few minutes for about 10 minutes. It's really important to let the past soak in the sauce. I actually like this dish more the next day.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment